Tuesday, March 29, 2016

End of season recap

The 2015-16 ski season went downhill real fast (pun intended)…

The season started with some awesome training in Zermatt, Switzerland, but then some not-so-hot training in Tignes, France. I over-rotated a front flip and tore my UCL in my left thumb in official training at the first world cup in Ruka, Finland; followed by sustaining a slight concussion on comp day. Only two weeks later, I broke 5 transverse processes from their respective vertebrae (T11-12, L2-4). Although the bones have now healed, because of my lingering pain and immobility from the injury; my doctor, coaches, strength coach, physical therapist, and I decided it was best to sit out the entirety of the season to heal and maximize recovery. I am so lucky to have such a strong crew that helps me make these incredibly hard decisions. 


This season isn’t a sob story though. I actually feel revitalized and stoked on skiing more than ever. I haven’t skied moguls or hit a jump in months, but I was able to return to my home mountains, Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows, for some epic skiing. I also finally had the time to ski with friends and explore some totally new mountains and others I hadn’t skied for years. Overall, I had a very successful season as a ski bum. Ski bum lifestyle is amazing!


The 2015-16 ski season has officially wrapped. And with that, the 2016 prep season has officially begun. This week, I’ve rejoined the U.S. Freestyle Team for an on-snow camp and physical testing. Though I still struggle through the pain and immobility, my jumbled, yet positively intensive schedule of physical therapy, pilates, light workouts, and yoga has put me on the right path to recovery. With this and my newly acquired ski bum prowess and stoke, I am SO excited for the 2016 prep season, 2016-17 ski season and world cup circuit, and the 2017 World Championships in Sierra Nevada, Spain!

I want to thank my crew (as I mentioned above), my parents, sponsors (T2 Foundation, Bomber Skis, St. Regis Deer Valley, Zipline Poles), other equipment suppliers, and friends for the endless support and for keeping me smiling during the past few tough months.


April is the U.S. Team’s month off, so I’m off for some wondrous trekking, Songkran festivities, and R&R beaching and cocktail-sipping in Thailand.


Happy spring skiing, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment